Strong Lifts 5x5

Started April 28 on Stronglifts 5x5. Old school strength training that gets results.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Nailed it!

orkout #1 of week 8 and last chance to get 90lbs in over head press or time to deload. Happy to say I nailed it. It's amazing to me the difference a couple days makes in how a body can gain strength and how important technique is.

Last week in try#1 at 90lb I starting struggling near the end of the 3rd set and really had to push to get the 5th rep. Then in sets #4 & 5 i couldn't push out that 5th rep and struggled in both sets with the 3rd and 4th.

Try #2 Better but still had to really push late in set#4 and couldn't get out the 5th rep in set#5. Form was better than last time late.

Try#3 Pushed out the 5x5 at 90lbs, not easily but not a struggle either. As I pushed out rep#5 of the 5th set I felt I could have probably gotten out 1 or 2 more reps. My shoulders were feeling it for sure but not at the failure level of the previous attempts at this weight.

Form was much better again and that may have something to do with it. I think previously I was brute forcing the bar up instead of using technique. After missing last attempt I did some review on proper Overhead press form.

Here's the link to proper form on the OHP
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-overhead-press-with-correct-technique/

and a video



Some key points I wasn't doing properly:

  • Shift Torso Forward. Once the bar reaches forehead level, shift your torso forward. Continue pressing the weight overhead.
  • Head Forward. Your chin should almost touch your chest when the weight is overhead. Look forward, not down.
I wasn't shifting my torso forward at the midpoint of the lift. I was tilting my head back so the bar could clear then back to a neutral position, but I wasn't getting my entire torso forward under the bar. It felt like I was pushing more from my pecs than my shoulders.

My finishing position wasn't right because my midpoint position wasn't.

Those two fixes to technique, world of difference in the feel of the lift. We will see how it goes moving forward, but I think fixing the technique will prevent stalls for another 10-15lbs I hope.

Liked the change in the Dead Lifts to progressively loading my warmup sets. After the last warmup set of 205 felt better prepared for the 235lb work weight set.

All in all it was a great work out yesterday. One of the best of the last couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment