Strong Lifts 5x5

Started April 28 on Stronglifts 5x5. Old school strength training that gets results.

Friday, June 24, 2011

End of Week 8

Worked out early this morning as I have company coming for the weekend. Last workout of Week 8. Lets just say shit's getting serious now. 230lb squats, 245lb Deadlifts. 95lb Overhead press.

Squats went very well but really starting to have to work hard late in the sets. Reps #4 & 5 of the last two sets required some good effort and I had a good sweat going after the first set. Don't think I am at the point where i am going to miss reps yet though.

Overhead press remains my hardest lift. The improvement in my form has helped alot and I got all my sets and reps in, but it still requires the most effort. Shoulders were really feeling it after the first couple sets. The odd thing though is set#5 felt easier than sets 3 or 4. In both 3 and 4 I struggled to get the 5th rep and felt my form was not as good as it could be, had a bit of back arch. Set 5, i don't know if it was mental or what but didn't struggle nearly as much to complete the set and my form felt much better.


Deadlifts are getting heavy. 10lbs a session is starting to push the envelope a bit. Warm up sets were 135, 185, 205 again with 1x5 at 245lb for the work set. Found out through some reading I should have been using overhand grip not mixed to help improve my grip strength so I did that for my warmups but had to switch to mixed grip for my work set. At 205 I could feel my grip starting to breakdown on the 4th and 5th rep and even with alternating I could feel it in the last rep. Grips is probably going to be my limiting factor on the lift. Definitely going to have to do extra work to improve my grip strength if I want to get to 300lbs and beyond on DL.


All in all a great week of workouts. Double dead lift weeks are killers but so easy to find the motivation to hit the gym when every time I go I set new PRs. My nutrition was better this week. Stayed out of the sweets and got lots of clean food and protein.

Sleep seems to be a problem though. I go to bed early, around 10-10:30pm but can't seem to sleep much past 5am. This morning it was 4:30am and I was wide awake. With the work I am putting my body through I would like to get 8hrs min.

No comments:

Post a Comment