Strong Lifts 5x5

Started April 28 on Stronglifts 5x5. Old school strength training that gets results.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 45

Week 7 Day 3

LBWO day. Had a great workout, although the gym was a bit busier again and couldn't get on the squat rack. Went to leg press as my back up. Continue to see gains there each time I default to it when I can't do squats. Loving the new Hammy curl machine. Worked in my sets of incline situps and added a 10lb plate to up the intensity. Also worked in a couple sets of the old Captain's Chair while waiting for the Hammy curl machine. Finished of with my normal 3 sets of my ab routine.

There are times when I step back and take stock of where I am now compared to where I was and it blows my mind. I remember my first LBWO back in July 2010. I have tripled what I can lift with leg press and calve raises and almost doubled my squats. I remember I could barely even do a set of 12 on the captains chair and not a single incline sit up. Yesterday I did 4 sets of 15 incline sit ups, with extra weight, and 3 sets of 25 on the captains chair just as a time filler. Then 3 more sets of my ab routine after.

So, got home after my workout and ate dinner. Then Cathy decided that it was such a nice evening we should go for a bike ride. Ended up doing around 15k in about 35mins. Needless to say after a good LBWO earlier my legs were screaming when it was all said and done. The first part was no problem, it was downhill most of the way, the way back not so much. On a good note though, even at the good pace we were setting, cardio wise it was no issue. I was never really breathing hard, although I did break a good sweat on the uphill parts on the way home.

While I'm not sure I will repeat the process on LBWO days, the added activity is a welcome addition to my normal training routine. Anything to get more active, burn more calories and get my ass off the couch in the evenings. I mean, at the end of the day, this journey to a fitter healthier me is to get out and enjoy life more, not look good sitting on the couch watching TV.

Summer is almost here and I am damned determined to enjoy this summer out doors engaging in life. I look back on the last 10 or so years and think man, I wasted some of my best years doing nothing. Sitting inside ashamed of how I looked. I live in a beautiful city that is an outdoor paradise in the summer. Beautiful lakes and beaches, hiking and biking trails, golf courses etc etc. I haven't been to the beach in 10+ years due to how I looked. How sad is that.

What a waste. Not this year and NEVER AGAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment