Strong Lifts 5x5

Started April 28 on Stronglifts 5x5. Old school strength training that gets results.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Day 84! FInal Measurments and Thoughts

Well here it is. 12 week Challenge Completed!

What a fantastic 3 months it has been. Physically I feel like I turned back the clock 10 years. Energy levels are the highest they have ever been. I'm lifting as much weight in the gym as I was back in my 20s and running faster and farther than I think I could back then. My initial goal was to increase my strength by 20%. In the end I nearly doubled or better my strength in all areas.

My blood pressure is spot on at 112/72 and resting heart rate is 77 BPM. Both significant improvements over when I started. Initially my Blood Pressure was getting into the danger zone. 138/90 and my resting heart rate was 96BPM. I wish I had have done a cholesterol test right before I started this so I would have a comparison. I know right now my cholesterol levels are

Total Cholesterol - 160
LDL - 102
HDL-65

and my doctor is very happy with the results of all the above.

Mentally I'm in a totally new place. My confidence has never been so high. The other day I was running out the door and my wife looked at me in my jeans and a t-shirt and gave me a whistle and a wink. I kinda stopped and looked at her and asked ":do I look so different?". She replied that even more than the change in my physique, I radiated a confidence in myself she hadn't seen since we first started dating so many years ago.

More than anything though, the fact I finished these 12 weeks without a single missed workout or any cheating on the diet has given me a sense of accomplishment I don't think I have ever had before. I gave it everything I had both physically and mentally and being able to look myself in the mirror and know that is a huge high point in my life.


Now the tale of the tape:


Day 1 Measurements:

Neck 17.5"
Chest 47.25"
Shoulder (girth) 53.5
Bicep 16.5
Forearm 12.25
Waist 48" Le gasp!
Hips 46.25"
Thigh 24.5"
Calves 16"
Height 71"
Weight 245.4lbs

Using the Body Fat F Calculator here : http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
34.76% BF
159.84lbs lean Muscle
85.16lbs Fat


My final measurements:

Neck 16.25
Chest 45
Shoulder (girth) 49.75
Bicep 15.25
Forearm 11.5
Waist 39
Hips 41.25
Thigh 25
Calves 16"
Height 71"
Weight 215.4lbs

Using the Body Fat F Calculator here : http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
23.38%BF
164.72 Lean Body Weight
50.28lbs Fat

I am going to go get a professional body fat measurement next week as that one is not the most accurate. But for now, it is the same method as I used at the start so we will stick with it.

Net results.
35lbs of fat lost.
5lbs of lean muscle gained.
30lbs net weight lost.
11.5% drop in Body Fat
9 inches off my abdomen.
5 inches off my hips
2.5 inches off the man boobs er.... chest!

Some of the measurements are interesting. My thighs and calves stayed the same in inches but the difference in composition is quite amazing. From soft and flabby to muscular and getting defined. My arms as the same. Instead of 16.25 inches with a easily grabbed roll of fat both on top and underneath I end up with 15.25" of nice muscle.

I managed to hit every goal I set out in this 12 week challenge but one. That was fitting a size 34 pant. While I can get a size 34 on and done up they are still tight. I did reach a comfortable size 36 which is a big drop from a tight size 42! Shirt wise I went from a 2x extra large to a large.

I am wearing clothes I haven't worn for 10 years or more. What I considered my "skinny clothes" are now big and baggy. I am not going to buy anything new yet as I haven't reached my end. I am looking forward to some major shopping on boxing day though!

I still have a ways to go to reach my ultimate goals. I don't know what my ultimate weight goal is as I no longer really use a scale weight to define my results. Once I get my Body Fat tested by a pro I will be better able to judge where I am now, but I'll be shooting for 10-12% BF and a weight around 185-190 I think and a size 32 pant.

I would recommend the BFL program to anyone looking to make a change in their life. Both physically and mentally this program is top notch. It's simple to understand but not easy to do. It is a lot of hard work and requires disciple, but if you give it your all and commit to it the results are truly amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment